Friday, February 3, 2012

Paradise

Soon I will write a longer post about the highlights of my time here so far (sneak peek- our first braai, dinner at Moyo on Spier Wine Farm, going to Cape Town, exploring Stellenbosch, and our first Stellenbosch University event!) but for now I’m just going to make a list of things I love most about Stellenbosch and South Africa so far.

·         Everyone is so happy and laid-back.  When a South African says they’ll do something “now-now,” that can mean right now, in an hour, tonight, tomorrow, maybe next week.  I fit right into this pace of life!

·         Everyone is SO NICE.  I’ve had more conversations with strangers in the past week than I’ve had in my whole life at home.  Sometimes it starts with someone hearing our accents and coming over because pretty much everyone here loves Americans, which is really cool!  When you ask for directions, people tend to walk you most of the way there until you have a straight shot and no possibility of getting lost. 

·         Everyone loves Americans!  American accents, music, movies, television, stereotypes.  It’s so interesting to learn what other people think about the country I’ve lived in all my life.  It’s also bizarre to hear American music every place I go.  Once when I told a South African I was from New York, his response was, “Like Blair Waldorf!!”  (Blair’s a character in Gossip Girl, for those of you who spend your time productively.)

·         South Africans are extremely proud of their country.  They are not proud of its history in regard to human rights and politics, but South Africans are fiercely South African.  They constantly gush about the country, and tell us all of their favorite places to go.

·         This place is BEAUTIFUL.  I’ve never seen so much beauty everywhere I look.  The mountains, the architecture, even the people! 

·         Shoes are optional!  It’s amazing.  It’s completely normal to see barefoot adults and children alike strolling through a mall, the street, or a bar.  To deem the dress code of an event or venue, one is told whether or not shoes are required.  So far I’ve only been one place where I needed shoes!

·         Stellenbosch is the perfect college town.  It’s like a bigger, more diverse and cultural Burlington.  There’s always something going on!

·         Of course I have to mention the weather.  It’s beautiful, and although I have a terrible sunburn right now, I’d take that over snow any day.  It’s hot but breezy, not too humid, and cool in the shade – perfect!

·         Finally, I’m in AFRICA.  (I know, common theme in my posts).  I’m on the continent that I’ve wanted to travel to ever since I can remember.  And it’s my home for the next five months!  It’s better than I ever imagined.  South Africa is both a first and third world country, which is terribly sad, but also very interesting from a sociological perspective.  I am definitely going to learn a lot here, both from my classes and just from living in this amazing country.
right outside my building!

Ginny, me, and Corie having a snack in Stellenbosch


Flatmates - Shana, me, Brooke, and Hallie in Cape Town!

masks in a market near school

2 comments:

  1. YAY I can finally post. I have been having trouble commenting on your posts. I am so proud of you honey for living out all of your dreams. I am also proud of you for writing about them so I can read all about it! Africa sounds like an amazing place! Can't wait to read more about your journey! xoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete